Electronics and Communication Engineering (ECE) is a swiftly advancing field, with new ideas emerging every other second. From mobile phones to fiber optics and remote sensing, there are exciting avenues to explore and create. The ECE department at SRM Institute of Science and Technology (formerly known as SRM University) prepares students for careers in this constantly evolving discipline.
Program Educational Objectives (PEOs)
- PEO1: Employment in industry, government institutions, small businesses, other organizations successfully using the skills they acquired in Electronics & Communication Engineering and related fields.
- PEO2: Pursuing higher education, conducting research at universities research organization and advancing their careers and acquiring leadership quality so as to have management positions within the profession.
- PEO3: Promotion of their professional development utilizing educational and career building opportunities through their employer, educational institutions, professional societies etc.
- PEO4: Contributing to the advancement of Electronics & Communication Engineering, related fields through new innovation program management or by educating/mentoring others by innovative solutions for the betterment of the society and the nation as whole.
Student outcomes (SOs)
- an ability to apply knowledge of mathematics,science,and engineering
- an ability to design and conduct experiments,as well as to analyze and interpret data
- an ability to design a system,component, or process to meet desired needs within realistic constraints such as economic,enviromental,social,political,ethical,health and safety,manufacturability,and sustainabiity
- an ability to function on multidisciplinary teams
- an ability to identify,formulate,and solve engineering problems
- an understanding of professional and ethical responsibility
- an ability to communicate effectively
- the broad education necessary to understand the impact of engineering solutions in global, economic, environmental, and societal context
- a recognition of the need for, and an ability to engage in life-long learning
- a knowledge of contemporary issues
- an ability to use the techniques, skills, and modern engineering tools necessary for engineering practice.
Students pursuing B.Tech. in ECE have a full and flexible undergraduate curriculum. Numerous streams can be tailored to fit every individual’s interests, skills and career goals. Students can prepare for technological careers in industry, academia or management.
Postgraduate study in ECE prepares students for leadership roles in research, development and design positions that require skillful and imaginative engineering solutions. The department offers several postgraduate degrees in the latest advanced technology.
Research & consultancy
Interdisciplinary research, a system-level approach and close ties with industry combine to yield up-to-date research. The department has received large funds from AICTE for research in the area of biomedical instrumentation for the project ‘Non-invasive optical imaging for tissue characterization’. The department received government funding for upgrading its fiber optic, DSP and VLSI laboratories. Strong ties with industry complement these top-notch research opportunities. Through research center industrial liaison programs and departmental advisory boards, faculty and students can work towards future technologies.
Academic interactions: Abroad
Through University Semester Abroad Program, students have been sent to reputed international universities like MIT-USA, University of California at Davis-USA, University of Wisconsin-USA, Lille Catholic University-France and University of Western Australia- Australia. Our Professor & Head visited University of California at Davis and universities around to understand international academic processes and procedures, for incorporation in our department so as to be in tune with rest of the world.
The department works closely with several reputable ECE industries and organizations. These relationships aid joint research, funded projects and provide the opportunity to master executive-style communication. The department also conducts part-time B.Tech. program for NOKIA company executives. A Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) has been signed with the Centre for Electronics Engineering Research Institute (CEERI).
The ECE Department prepares students to pursue leadership, technical, and management positions in a variety of industries. Students have obtained placements at leading companies such as Intel, Texas Instruments, Infosys, TCS, Keane, Mindtree, Wipro, Cognizant Technologies and Tata Elxsi. Some are pursuing their higher studies in prestigious institutions in India and abroad.